Explore New Zealand’s spectacular and diverse scenery on one of the popular touring routes where you will see the beautiful landscapes, visit the popular attractions and stop to enjoy the local activities.
North Island Touring Routes
- Twin Coast Discovery Highway: Discover Northland and begin your road trip from Auckland. The route is about 200 km starting and ending in Auckland. There are several different scenic stops along the way for you to explore including:
- Stop in Whangarei and enjoy the parks and walks in the area to see the kauri trees, Whangarei Falls and Mount Parihaka.
- Make your way to the Bay of Islands which is a water lover’s paradise where you can go diving, swimming, boating, fishing or just relax on the beaches.
- Go north from Kaitaia to Ninety Mile Beach where you can enjoy the surf, go on a 4WD expedition, body board the sand dunes or go boating.
- Travel south down the east coast of the North Island to Hokianga where you can see 300 metre high sand dunes and 2,000 year old kauri trees.
- Thermal Explorer Highway: Choose from two different touring routes to explore the Central Plateau. Allow yourself at least two to three days to stop and explore the different towns and attractions in the North Island:
- Experience an underground adventure on a black water rafting tour in the Waitomo Caves.
- Visit Rotorua, which is a geothermal area filled with mud pools, geysers, steam vents and hot mineral spas.
- Stop in Taupo to see New Zealand’s largest lake, which is renowned for trout fishing and boating adventures.
- Indulge in Hawke’s Bay with a selection of delicious food and flavourful wines from New Zealand’s oldest wine region.
South Island Touring Routes
- Alpine Pacific Triangle: Tour around to some of the South Island’s most popular destinations located in close proximity of one another so you can spend time enjoying the activities and attractions.
- Sample the flavours of the Waipara Valley wines on a wine tasting tour to discover the 80 vineyards in the area.
- Dip into the waters at Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools or relax with a spa therapy treatment.
o See the marine life in Kaikoura on a whale watching expedition, dolphin swimming tour or seal kayaking excursion.
- Southern Scenic Route: Travel around the bottom of the South Island to discover the remote areas of New Zealand on the 440 kilometre route.
- Walk around Dunedin to see the Victorian architecture, experience the Scottish heritage and enjoy the beautifully manicured gardens.
- Explore the forests, rugged coastline and wildlife in the remote but beautiful area in the Catlins.
- Treat yourself to the tasty oysters in Bluff and take a ferry over to Stewart Island to see the bays, beaches and forests in Rakiura National Park.
- Take a cruise in Fiordland National Park to see Milford or Doubtful Sound and the beautiful waterfalls, inlets, wildlife and mountains.